Collieries sunk or opened in 1846:
Forty Horse pit (Butterley Co); Hermitage (Butterley Co) opened, 70 yards (64m) deep (Old Foundation to southwest); Ripley colliery was sunk (Butterley Co);
Collieries closed in 1846:
Butterley No3 (Butterley Co) Deep Hard; Marehay Old (Coursham & Co), Hard and Soft seams;
A plan of Langley Mill shows 2 pairs of coal shafts, unnamed (Butterley Co?), either side of the railway bridge on Station Road in the centre of the village.
‘Dog belts’ were still common in Derbyshire pits worn by boys on haulage work, to drag tubs or corves. This was a system that was employed in low roadways where it was impossible to stand upright.
During 1847 the market for coal dropped dramatically and prices were depressed.
The Butterley Co had had to wait until now for a connection to a main railway line to their pits in the Erewash valley - the Midland Railway.
Collieries sunk or opened in 1847:
Bailey Brook (Butterley Co) Heanor, Deep Soft; Dunstead (Henry & Joseph Boam) 6’ 10” (2.08m) coal; Langley Mills pits sunk (Coursham & Co) near to railway, (now Acorn Centre) just off Station Road opposite Milnhay Road; Woodside, Shipley (Mundy) sunk to Deep Soft and Deep Hard, took over from Field later.
Stoppard’s, Orchard, Coppice and Simonfield No1 & No2 pits at West Hallam (sunk this year?).
Collieries sunk or opened in 1848:
Britain colliery (Butterley Co) was sunk at Butterley Park; Turkey Field pit (or Strelley pit) (Thomas North) deepening ? - see 1843, and West Hallam colliery (HB Whitehouse & Son) near Ilkeston, Nos 3 & 4 shafts at 11 yards (10m) apart and 7 feet (2.13m) diameter and 9 feet (2.74m) were sunk to 130 yards (119m) deep to work the Soft coal, E Eardley.
At West Hallam (HB Whitehouse & Son) after Cann’s Close pit and Hallam’s Close pit had finished around 1847, the workings were carried on at Stoppard’s, Orchard, Coppice and Simonfield No1 & No2 pits. Piper, Dogtooth and Furnace coals worked. The Brownrake ironstone was worked at Wood pit.
The Yearly Bond disappeared shortly afterwards and was replaced by 2 or 4 weeks notice of employment. Of course lack of employment at a mine with company housing meant that the house had to be vacated. Miners were fined for absenteeism - in Notts they were fined one shilling (5p) for neglecting their work through drink or idleness.
Collieries sunk or opened in 1849:
Cotmanhay(e) colliery between Heanor and Ilkeston (Barber, Walker & Co) E44647 N36505, sunk to Deep Hard (seam section Jays 4” (0.10m), Scuds 10” (0.25m), Hard coal 2’ 4” (0.70m), Bat 2” (0.05m) and holing sloome 7” (0.15m), opening heads in pit bottom 1851/52.
At Hartshay Upper (Butterley Co) the Deep Soft seam was closed Lady Day 25th March 1849. Benk faces were worked from Nos 1 to 4 pits and also a ‘Thurl Deep Level’.
Collieries sunk or opened in 1850:
Butterley Park No5 (a new High Holborn) (Butterley Co); Cotmanhay (Barber Walker ) Soft coal start 1850?; Heanor West Hill (FB Charlton) sunk;
Collieries sunk or opened in 1851:
Exhibition (Butterley Co) sunk to Kilburn at 230 yards (210m) opened, named after the Great Exhibition of 1851, and would connect with New Main workings in Low Main and Blackshale. Ventilation was effected by a furnace underground. (Top Cloddy pit lay to the south); The miners at Butterley Park mine averaged around 15 shillings (75p) a week over the year - no more than they had earned in the 1790s. By 1851, John Smith, colliery Agent for the Butterley Co’s Butterley Park colliery had worked for the firm for 42 years, firstly as a collier then as an official. Thos J Taylor was a Viewer in the area.
Collieries sunk or opened in 1852:
No1 Engine and Bye pit at West Hallam sunk by Whitehouse 133 yards (122m) to Bottom Hard coal. No2 sunk 103 yards (94m) to Bottom Hard. Drowned out 12th March as No1, from 26th Feb 1872 to 1st Jan 1873 and again in 12th Mar 1875 by workings from this pit thirling into flooded workings.
Aldercar Park Estate was purchased by Butterley Co and included Aldercar Hall and the Pit Meadow etc.
Fatal accidents during this time:
Butterley Park, John Barton, fall of roof 2/3/1852; Butterley Park, John Skerrimore, fell down shaft 12/6/1852; Butterley Park, John Barksby (boy) fell down shaft 1/12/1852; Cotmanhay, Abraham Cook (?) and Abraham Bostock (boy) fall of ground 17/7/1852; Cotmanhay, John Sisson, fell down shaft 10/10/1852; Loscoe, John Allen and Samuel Milward, winding rope broke 5/10/1852; Marehay, John Bacon and Hamlet Smith both fell down shaft 19/4/1852; Morley Park, Henry Swift, explosion of firedamp 6/8/1852; Morley Park, Francis Purdy fall of coal 29/9/1852; Rutland, John Lacey (?) fell down shaft, 16/7/1852; Shipley, Francis Purdy, fall of coal 29/9/1852;
Twiggs 1835 Plan - updated 1853;
Twigg drew a plan in 1835, and from an updated version in 1853 shows Whymsey pit opposite the road to Codnor at Denby Common. Also New Soft Coal 70 yards (64m) One Rope; Wagtail 130 yards (119m) to Hard coal; Blind Foundation about 330 yards (302m) to W; Engine pit some 154 yards (140m) SW of Wagtail, sunk 146 yards (133m) on fault; Old Alder pit 176 yards (160m) S of Wagtail and 176 yards (160m) NE of Old Hall; Hell Croft pit 264 yards (241m) due S of Old Alder; Roby Field pit 220 yards (201m) SW of Old Hall; to the S of the Old Hall ran a Sough SW to NE to a Bye pit and Engine pit (101 yards (92m) deep) E of Hell Croft pit; Some 154 yards (140m) S of the Bye pit and Engine pit was Yew Tree pits; to the E of Old Alder was Old Brook pit and a further 110 yards (100m) E was Rough Close pit; 286 yards (261m) S of Old Brook pit was Brook pit and a further 110 yards (100m) S of that lay Old Stonehouse which also lay 101 yards (92m) E of Engine pit; to the E of Brook pit was Pit 42 yards (38m) deep to Minge coal and a further Pit to Minge coal was 132 yards (120m) SE and lastly Mount Pleasant pit was 198 yards (181m) further SE, and due E of Old Stonehouse.
At Shipley the last vertical-type winder like the one at Church Gresley in 1844 was installed. This engine had a 5 feet (1.5m) stroke and a cylinder 33” (0.84m) diameter.
Collieries closed in 1853:
Pentridge (Pentrich) (Messrs Haslam) Deep Hard seam, Surveyor John T Woodhouse, May 1853;
Collieries sunk or opened in 1854:
Butterley Park (Butterley Co); Codnor Park (Butterley Co); Ripley (Butterley Co);
Hartshay pit (CV Hunter) near Ripley was old and dilapidated and only had an 8 feet (2.43m) diameter shaft and was about to be closed (a new pit with same name was sunk by Butterley Co).
Collieries sunk or opened in 1855:
Buckland Hollow (Wheatcroft); Denby New (Wm D Lowe), Ripley; East Wood (Thos North ?); Forty Horse (Butterley Co), Butterley Park; Granby (Butterley Co); Hallam (Francis Newdegate), Ilkeston; Heanor (J Eley), Heanor (J Eley); Heanor (C Cresswell); Heanor (Toplis & Co); Heanor (J Argill); Ilkeston (Butterley Co); Marlpool (Moody & Newbold) Comb & Top Hard; New Main (Butterley Co); Whiteley (Messrs Coursham & Co), Ripley;
Collieries closed in 1855:
Buckland Hollow (M Richardson) 58 yards (53m), and Mrs Wollatts’ pit, 71 yards (65m), met old hollows, water from Cromford Canal came into north head also; Langley Mill (Grammar trustees);
Coal was transported from Kimberley to the Canal at Awsworth and Cossall and also by surface tramway to Cinderhill via Broxtowe colliery and then via Newcastle and Radford to the Nottingham Canal. Thomas North’s railway system had now extended to a total of 18 miles and had cost a lot of money.
Derbyshire pits working in 1856:
Benerley (J Brooke & Co); Brands Hard, Brands Soft, Butterley Park, (Butterley Co); Buckland Hollow (Wheatcroft); Codnor Park (Butterley Co); Forty Horse (Butterley Co); Hallam (Francis Newdegate); Heanor (J Argill); Heanor (C Creswell); Heanor (J Eley); Heanor (Toplis & Co); Hartshay, Ilkeston, Langley (Butterley Co); Ilkeston (Butterley Co); Kilburn (J Ray); Miln Hay (McAlun & Allen); Morley Park Kilburn & Morley Park Hard & Soft (Messrs Mold); Newlands, New Main (Butterley Co); Ormonde (Butterley Co); Pentrich (Messrs Haslam); Ripley (Butterley Co); Rutland (I & R Potter); Shipley Soft & Shipley Hard (EM Mundy); West Hallam (HB Whitehouse & Son); Whiteley (Messrs Coursham & Co);
Collieries sunk or opened in 1856: Awsworth (J Brooke & Co); Brands Hard, Brands Soft (Butterley); Butterley Park (Butterley Co); Codnor Park (Butterley Co); Denby New (WD Lowe); Forty Horse (Butterley Co); Hallam (Francis Newdegate); Hartshay (Butterley Co); Langley (Butterley Co); Newlands (Butterley Co); New Main (Butterley Co); West Hallam (Newdegate); Whiteley (Messrs Coursham & Co).
Loscoe Sough (Red River); Comment by Ian Castledine.
A stream running past Loscoe Colliery East to West was referred to as ‘Red River’ as it ran with the red ochre deposits in water from the old mines above at Robey Fields. It now runs clear but certainly at the time of my childhood in the 70's I can remember the water being Orangey Red. The sough from old plans seems to originate from the Robey Engine shaft were water was pumped up from deeper levels connecting to local mines and discharged into the sough. The exact entrance to the sough is not known and it may be a case that the stream itself maybe the untopped remains of the sough.
Collieries closed in 1856:
Hartshay (CV Hunter); Langley (Grammar’s Trustees); Marlpool colliery around this time, approx position 43/444400, 345250, 59 yards (54m) deep; Millhay (or Milnhay?) (McAlum & Allen) two areas worked from pits 12 yards (11m) and 10 yards (9m) deep, one fin 1856, under Midland Railway, met old hollows 1858, John Thomas Woodhouse Surveyor; West Hallam (HB Whitehouse);
Top Cloddy shaft, Low Main, Exhibition – no coal, Bottom Cloddy position 43/4250/363783 or SK/4236350783; Redgates Foundation Bye And Engine pit, 75 yards (69m) to Low Main, position SK/443960, 351060.
Collieries sunk or opened in 1857:
Denby New (Wm Drury Lowe); Ilkestone (Butterley Iron & Coal Co); Ripley New or Foundation (Butterley Co) 195 yards (178m) to Main Soft and 210 yards (192m) to Main Hard seams (nearby Cooper Cote pit engine and Marehay colliery 110 yards (100m) to Hard coal);
Collieries closed in 1857:
Heanor (Mrs E Sutton), Coombe coal; Mill Hay (McAlum & Allen), Alfreton; Ormonde was closed (Butterley Iron & Coal Co); West Hill (FB Charlton) Heanor, Coombe;
Collieries sunk or opened in 1858:
Water Gates (Messrs Coursham & Co);
Collieries sunk or opened in 1859:
Denby Ironworks (Messrs Dawes); 2 more shafts were sunk at Kimberley (Chas Seeley); New Langley (Butterley Co) to work Roof Soft, Deep Soft, Deep Hard, Piper & Low Main; Waingroves shaft sunk (Butterley Co) to work Deep Soft & Deep Hard;
A note on the Dunstead Area at Langley Mill;
At Dunstead colliery Langley Mill, (Butterley Co) there were 15 shafts to the North of Dunstead House and the railway, varying from 8 yards (7.3m) to 33 yards (30m) deep to the Top Hard seam. Some workings by Mundy to 1858, some workings by Butterley Co and through the faults worked by Beardsley 1858-59.
Collieries closed in 1859:
Turkey Field, referred to also as Strelley colliery (Thomas Webb Edge) near Cossall working Soft coal was abandoned.
A pillar of support for the railway was left in the Soft coal workings at Cotmanhay (Barber Walker & Co). The Erewash Valley railway from Chesterfield to Nottingham crossed the take, with the Eastwood colliery Branch. The Erewash Canal also crossed the take. John Thomas Woodhouse Surveyor of Overseal, Ashby-de-la-Zouch made a plan in Dec 1859.