In the village of Astley Green (NGR SD705000) in Lanc’s stands Astley Green Colliery (Now a museum) which was thankfully saved thanks to local efforts and the uniqueness of the 3,300 hp twin tandem compound steam winding engine. The museum houses Lancashire's only surviving headgear and engine house, both of which now have listed building status. The museum's 98ft high lattice steel headgear can be seen from miles around as a great memorial to the areas mining history. The museum houses many exhibits, not least of which is the collection of 28 colliery locomotives, the largest collection of its type in the United Kingdom. The colliery was sunk in 1908 to exploit coal reserves in the south Lancashire Coalfield which lay at depth, the colliery lasted 62 years, finally closing its gates in 1970. Because of its relatively short history, many written and photographic records have survived. The museum is administrated and maintained by the Red Rose Steam Society Limited, who are a registered charity.