Bestwood Winding Engine House and Headgear is all that remains today of the once extensive mining operations of the Bestwood Coal and Iron Company. The pit was sunk in 1872 with the winding engine being installed and operational during 1876. The pit carried on into the NCB era closing in 1971 when the site was converted into a country park. Happily the engine house and headgear were preserved with the engine intact. The engine is Britain's sole surviving example of a twin cylinder vertical winding engine. The engine is being restored by the Bestwood Colliery Winding House Volunteers who have already got engine rotating by electricity using the winding rope, there are long terms plans to re-introduce steam operation. The exterior of the engine house an headgear has recently (2009) been restored to a very high standard. The site is located at NGR SK556475.