Mining at Clintsfield near Lower Bentham in Lancashire mainly seems to date from the late 18th century. In the field below Clintsfield farm are numerous shaft mounds rich in coal fragments. Below these at NGR SD629697 is a nice engine house with remains of the boiler house and large chimney stump. In 1839 it housed a 5 horsepower beam pumping engine until closure of the mine in approx 1856. It is believed that the mine was worked by Horse, Water and steam power, the pronounced flat area to RH side of the Bob wall was a Gin Circle. The engine house seems have subsequently been converted to a house which probably saved the building from destruction. Whilst the building is somewhat decayed it makes for a nice photograph set in such a rural landscape, the site is Scheduled and theoretically under the administration of English Heritage. Access is via Clintsfield farm from where permission should be sought.