This well appointed pumping engine house and chimney stands on the moors above Cononley village at NGR SD980461. Also on site are tips, leats, powder magazine, incline entrance and engine shaft with pump rod tunnel / lobby. The engine house was restored by the Earby Mines Research Group who maintain the site. The site is rich in industrial archaeology and is a rare feature in the mid Pennines, the mine was owned by the Duke of Devonshire. The engine here pumped the shaft via flat rods and an angle bob.
The mine dates back to the mid 19th century with the engine shaft (146m deep) being sunk circa 1840, the buildings being constructed around 1842. The incline was sunk at 1 in 4 during 1849. The site is grade 2 listed and easily accessed.