The remains of this famous copper and tin mine can be found between South Crofty and the nearby railway at SW664406. It was given this name by a miner who described a newly discoverd lode there as being "as big as Cook's Kitchen" and the name duly stuck. The mine was operational from around 1815 to 1905 producing over 40,000Tons of Copper, nearly 9000Tons on Tin and 120Tons of Arsenic. The mine was very deep reaching 420 fathoms in depth.
There are two engine houses stand at Chapples shaft, one housed a 55 inch pumping engine, the other a 26 inch whim.