This modern adit based mine was constructed in 1954 - 58. It had links to other nearby mines and was a very expensive investment by the NCB the idea was to concentrate output in one spot with a modern plant. The operation closed in 1966. All that remains now is the Slime Thickening Plant which is a large concrete drum on legs with a roof ST243990. It is hard to believe that the mass of sidings and screens buildings have just vanished beneath woodland and the new road.

Worth a visit though as we seem to have an adversity to saving concrete structures...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

HAFODYRYNYS COLLIERY - SLIME THICKENER