Haig Colliery Mining Museum at Whitehaven is part of Cumbria's history and incorporates two connected winding engine houses (complete with engines) and one surviving headgear of the old colliery complex. Haig Colliery was the last operating mine (closing in 1986) and was the deepest in Cumbria. It was between 1914 and 1918 that the Whitehaven Colliery Company sunk the 1200-foot deep Haig Pit. Its closure was brought about by the encounter of a major fault, the miners' strike, and the politics of the day. Buildings were demolished with only the two connected winding engine houses and some workshops remaining. The Haig Colliery building site is now designated as a Scheduled Monument by English Heritage. The site is well worth a visit and can be found at NGR NX 967175. Nearby can be found the interesting Saltom Pit Engine house, see index.