In 1833 the first shaft at Haswell Colliery was sunk, between Haswell and Haswell Plough. This saw hundreds of miners from around Britain flock to the area. New houses, churches, schools, pubs and shops were all built to accommodate their needs, thus a thriving mine community was born. The mine gained notoriety during the 1844 strike as a Black Leg pit but even more so after the disaster there the same year which tragically killed 95 men and boys of which several were as young as 10. The explosion was caused by the ignition of coal dust and bought the village together in sympathy as virtually every family was affected. The mine closed in 1895 but a substantial part of the pumping engine house has survived which can be found at NGR NZ374422 on the edge of the village.