This colliery was sunk circa 1842-3 for Earl Fitzwilliam as Elsecar Low Colliery but was known locally as Hemingfield Colliery. The site is about half a mile from the former Elsecar Main Colliery. The shaft from which the coal was wound was locally called the " Bicycle Wheel Pit " as the two pulley wheels were mounted one above the other resembling a bike. Shaft sinking was complete in 1840 but there were major problems due to water ingress. In 1846 production had reached some 1000 tons per day. The mine closed in 1920 but continued in use a pumping station until recently. It was pumped by a Cornish Beam engine prior to electric pumps being fitted. Today the site has two small concrete headgears, the Pumping Engine House (now a home), A winding engine house, an electricity sub-station for later electric pumps and a very nice row of pit cottages. The site can be found at NGR SE393009 and can be seen from the road, there is no public access to the site.