The mine was almost worked out by the "old man" prior to 1750 above the Toadstone. An attempt was made 1768 to work deeper but was beaten by water such was the belief that greater riches were to be found. A new venture in the 1830's was started incorporating the latest steam pumping technology. However despite much optimism the mine was closed by 1852 have made very little return for much capital expended. The engines and plant were sold off and the engine houses ultimately flattened but thanks to a recent funded dig by the PDMHS the site was fully dug to reveal a wonderful footprint of what was a significant Peakland venture.
On site can be found the bases of a pumping engine house and winding engine house along with remnants of the crushing and ore preparation processes. There is roadside parking and it is only a short walk to the site at NGR SK1636 7775