Mining at Minera dates back to 1296. In 1527, two men bought the rights to mine there, but the deep veins of limestone meant there was much water, and hence flooding. The inability to pay for steam engines to pump out water closed the mines again until 1845, when John Taylor & Sons, mining agents from Flintshire, formed the Minera Mining Company. They installed beam pumping engine on site and thus began to work the mines with more success. John Taylor & Sons had used a £30,000 investment at the time, yet the profits for 1864 alone were £60,000. By 1900, the price of lead and zinc had fallen such that coupled to a rise in costs mining was no longer viable and the engine stopped work in 1909, with all assets sold by 1914. The engine house survived and has been restored and a beam even fitted, this is located at NGR SJ275509. There also displays of other equipment such as buddles, jiggers etc. The immediate area has many interesting remains associated with the mine and is well worth a few hours of any enthusiasts time.