Sunk by Powell Duffryn Steam Coal Co in 1905. There were 2 shafts of 21ft diameter. The large engine house contained two winding engines, compressors and generators. The fan casing was also on the end of this hall. The layout was considered exceptional and was only altered by the NCB in the 60s, fortunately the Art Nouveau tiling in there remained in tact . In 1938 saw modern brick built miners baths erected in complete contrast to the decorative sandstone buildings.
2 headframes survive built in 1906. Also a large combined workshop, lamp room, offices, stores and loco shed also remains. The site of the screens and wagon loading points has been obliterated.
The level of restoration of the combined workshop, lamp room, offices, stores and loco shed is superb and it is the plan that the main engine house will receive the same treatment. The headgears are also to be conserved. A fabulous site with much to see in its original context at ST144950