Plas Power Colliery was sunk by the Old Broughton Coal Company circa 1875 and was producing coal in 1877. During 1881, the company was reformed to become the Broughton and Plas Power Coal Company. Plas Power was regarded as a modern pit pioneering the use of electricity underground. The central generating station built at the colliery supplied electricity to Gatewen and Vron Collieries as well as Plas Power. At its peak of operation, the mine employed nearly 1100 men. Interestingly Plas Power was the scene of violence when the miners drove imported labour in 1885 who worked there. In the following year further riots occurred. The pit finally closed in 1938. However there are substantial remains to be seen including the power house and two superb winding engine houses and a lovely row of stone built offices and workshops. The heapstead itself is of solid stone construction and well worth inspection, all in all an unexpectedly superb site! It can be found at SJ299519.