The colliery was sunk in the 1870s and produced coal until 1983. By some miracle it escaped complete demolition after closure and it still retains its headstocks, engine-houses and steam winders, one of which was installed in 1904 by Lilleshall Co. Ltd. and the other in 1922 by Markham & Co. Ltd. Pleasley Colliery is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument and is in the process of being developed into a mining heritage site. The engine-houses and chimney have been renovated and the winding engines are in the process of being restored by members of the Friends of Pleasley Pit preservation group.
This site can be found at NGR SK498643 where various paths can be walked in order to view the exterior of the buildings which are surrounded by security fencing. The interior can be visited but only on special event days. A superb survivor of our coal industry.