Coal is documented as being worked here from the 12th C. The colliery had the first deep shaft in Scotland, sunk in 1830 to the Great Seam at 420 feet (128 m). The colliery had the last Cornish beam engine remaining in situ in Scotland. It closed in 1962 but during site clearance work was stopped as a new plan was adopted to form a heritage site/museum. By 1968 a commitee was in place and the Scottish Mining Museum was launched at Prestongrange on 28 September 1984. Artefacts came from around the coalfield and were stored at Prestongrange. The beam engine house and the colliery power station became galleries. With the closure of Lady Victoria Colliery at Newtongrange in 1981 the ambitions of the steering group expanded to include that site, they operated together from 1984 to 1992 when Prestongrange was withdrawn from the Scottish Mining Museum by East Lothian Council and recast as Prestongrange Industrial Heritage Museum, encompassing many other forms of local industrial heritage. The sites primary remains are the superb Beam Pumping Engine and Engine House along with numerous other items of machinery, there is also a superb Brick Kiln too. The site is located at NGR NT372736. See also Newtongrange Colliery Museum.