This engine house was built for a newcomen type pumping engineto keep an iron (and possibly coal) mine dry. The engine house is of sandstone construction and unusual with its castellated design. There is a date stone from 1813 which id believed to date the building not the mine. The engine was moved to the Chapletown area around 1870s or so it is believed. To the east of the enginehouse there is a cutting that formed the route of the Pilley Hills Colliery Branch of the Worsborough Railway. To the rear of the engine house is the Rockley Iron Furnace dating back to around 1700, the furnace was probably re-used in the 1790's. Both the engine house and furnace are now conserved but seem little visited. They can be found at NGR SE338021.