Located at the base of the cliffs at NGR NX964173 near Whitehaven, this engine house is all that remains of Saltom Pit.

The pit operated from 1829 to 1848 and eventually mined coal under the Irish Sea up to 2km from the shore and was one of the first ventures to do so in the UK. The mine reached 146m in depth and took 3 years to sink.

The engine house has been long neglected  but what remains, although rapidly deteriorating , can be reached by  parking at the Haig Colliery museum and then walking to the cliff top and decending the roughly carved out track to the site below.

 

 

SALTOM PIT - ENGINE HOUSE