Snibston Colliery was one of three coal mines sunk in the 1820s and 1830s that helped create the town of Coalville in north-west Leicestershire. Snibston Colliery was created by the famous engineers George and Robert Stephenson and produced coal continuously from 1833 to 1983. When it finally closed in 1985, the site was bought by Leicestershire County Council with the aim of preserving the most important buildings including a superb fully equipped Tandem Headgear, turning the rest of the derelict site into a recreational area and building a major new museum of science and working life. The Discovery Park opened in 1992. Located at SK418145.