Stank Pit was an Iron (Haematite) Mine that was active between 1871 - 1901. This mine was originally quite sizeable having twin Cornish pumping engines and also a beam winding engine. After closure some buildings on site were lost but fortunately a nice group of buildings remain. These are situated on the farm that now occupies the site, the farmhouse being the mine managers house (please get permission from there, they are very nice people). Also on site are the Engineers house, Pumping Engine House, Miners dry/stables (converted to accomodation) and a small power house on the edge of the property. The mine is located at Stank, near Barrow in Furnace at NGR SD230706.
It is sad that so little remains of this former huge reghional industry, remains being very rare. The former miners dry has been converted to holiday accomodation and can be rented from the owners of the farm.