This mine started as Wheal Rock in 1750, renamed United Hills 1809, then became Tywarnhayle ('House on the Estuary') closing in 1907 after various reworkings. The site is South East of Porthtowan At NGR SW697472 is Taylor's 58" pumping engine house, at NGR SW 699472 stands John's 70" pumping engine house dating back to 1861 which dominates the surrounding area from its elevated position. There are also the remains at NGR SW701470 of an Elmore vacuum flotation plant, this is the site of the first commercial a froth flotation plant which was installed for re-working the dumps for copper in 1906. There are concrete walls and various other structures at this site. The site is easily accessed and  






Tywarnhayle Mine - COPPER MINE