Started in 1913 by Bell Bros these workings were not successful and leases were signed over to the Wakerley Ironstone Co in 1915, and Partington Steel & Iron Co Ltd from 1918. The owners obviously had big plans for the quarries and started to erect 4 Ironstone Calciners of which only two were finished using WW1 POWS circa 1918, however the 2 built were never used. The calciners were built in front of the original disused Bell Bros tippler. A new tippler was added which can be seen in the differing brick colour. The exact date of closure is not known but is thought to be 1921.
Both the earlier and later tippler banks survive, along with two complete calciners and the base of two others never completed, these are probably the only survivors in the uk. There are tramway remains and shallow opencasts also. The remains are near Wakerley village at NGR SP946995.