Washington 'F' Pit is is one the few scant remains of the coal industry in the NE. It was first opened in 1777 and is one of the country's oldest colliery sites. After a successful career the last coal was raised during 1968, it was then only six years before coalmining in Washington came to an end completely. Fortunately the Winding Engine House and Headgear was retained for later preservation and now functions as a small museum, when not open the exterior features can be photographed with relative ease through the surrounding fence, the headgear being very noteworthy.
When open the winding engine that was used to raise both men and coal can be seen working but turned by an electric motor rather than steam.