Located at NGR SK434954 on the outskirts of Rawmarsh is a fabulous example of a Newcomen engine house with gabled roof built for the Earl Fitzwilliam in 1823. The engine was claimed to be the most efficient atmospheric engine ever built. It was replaced by electric pumps in 1926 being dismantled circa 1934. The surrounding site has also survived well, their are workshops and boiler house attached to the engine house as well as the entrance Lodge. A concrete headgeat stands over the open but meshed over pumping shaft to this day. Fortunately the engine house is listed and has remained in good condition.