This engine house was aquired and restored by The National Trust and is one of the best known land marks on Dartmoor dominating the valley next to the A386 road North of Mary Tavy at NGR SX510814 in West Devon. It was restored as a memorial to the mining industry of Dartmoor.
The mine itself was one of the more famous Dartmoor mines, and operated in antiquity. The most recent history is that the mine was re-opened in 1806 using water power for its operations. In 1868 this engine house was built for a Cornish beam engine which pumped water from the mine until closure of the mine in 1877.