Wheal Kitty stands high up above Trevaunance Cove at St Agnes at NGR SW724513. The mine was operational from around 1834 until 1930 being worked continuously up to about 1919 by bdifferent owners. It was mined for Tin primarily but also produced Copper and even small quantities of Iron.
The mine eventually connected in 1929 with nearby West Kitty and Polberro in an nattempt to exploit new lodes but another slump in Tin prices lead to the colla[se of the venture. The key remains today are centred on Sara's Shaft and include the beautifully restored 65 inch pumping engine house and the adjacent winding engine house (modified and now in industrial use). Towards the rear of these buildings are the boiler houses and a dump beyond which lie the dressing floors etc and further dumps. The dressing floors are of concrete construction with 2 calciners in stone and further north is an arsenic stack from the later working of the mine. Sadly the mill site is becoming run down and overgrown, a great site in a fabulous location.