The pit was sunk about 1830 by the Earl of Dudley's pits. The site originally had a beam pumping engine built in 1831 (the engine house still standing) but also a Newcomen beam whim engine dating to the opening of the pit in 1830. The beam pumping engine continued to operate post closure under the Oldhill Mines Drainage Co in order to keep water levels down in the local pits, becoming officially known as Windmill End Pumping Station (depth of shaft 525ft), unofficially as Cobb's. When the site closed in 1928 Henry Ford purchased the Newcomen engine, it can still be seen at his museum in Dearborn, Michigan. The pumping engine house is located in Warren Halls nature reserve near Rowley Regis (NGR SO953882). It overlooks the Netherton Canal Tunnel which together make a fine photograph and great reminder of the west midlands industrial past.